Schotty named #7 coaching candidate in the NFL by NFL.com

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Dec 19, 2008.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He was No. 11

2. GeorgeCoztanza

GeorgeCoztanza New Member

If this list is to be believed, it's tough to see him getting a job. We rarely see nine teams change coaches in a given year, and even then at least some will go for retreads or college guys over a hot assistant.

3. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

It's too bad Miami didn't hire him a few years ago. Of course, he'd probably be back here after going 1-15 with that team, and would be just as ineffective as he is now. I know we're #3 in points scored, but I watch a lot of football and the Jets offense isn't in the top 10 in the league. I don't even know if it's top half. It's just weird because we have so many points scored, but from a momentum and consistency standpoint, it just feels like we have so many problems and it is always such a struggle to get points. Well, not always, we've had some good games. It's just we have awful ones too.

Oh, maybe it's because we are 15th in total yards. 16th in passing offense, 9th in rushing offense. We are tied for 3rd in rushing TDs, and 8th in passing TDs. We are tied for 2nd in INTs (The Texans as a team have thrown more). We are 19th in terms of plays run. We do have the 11th highest TOP. So we are getting an average amount of yards, holding the ball more than average, but running less plays than average. Somehow we have a high point production, although it's not necessarily from moving the ball consistently or getting more TDs than everyone else.

I probably should have made another thread on this, but I was curious as to why I felt this way and decided to look it up now. Besides, it's not like anyone will read this or think about it anyway, they'll just write that we have a great offense and we're all darksiders for thinking about it factually.

#23 Serphnx, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  4. JetsLookingforDWare

So you watch alot of football....but you're amazed that an offense headed by a new QB has both good days and bad days?

Thats weird.

I think you're right and that our offense isn't super efficient all the time, but I wouldn't really expect it to be until it is if that makes sense. If Favre had been running this offense for years...then sure I'd expect perfection...but theres going to be awkward moments.

#24 JetsLookingforDWare, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  5. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

I wonder...
    If a former defensive coordinator comes to the Jets, will he try to institute another style of D, similar to how Mangini did?
    Let's face it, I don't think any of us can stand the "square peg in circle hole" talk when our players aren't suited for the Tampa-2 or the 4-3.

6. throwback54milkman

throwback54milkman New Member

if we could have 1 coach on our roster be our head coach id want it to be Callahan

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Reverting back to a 4-3 would not be as hard. You already have enough for a 4-3 line something like:

BT/Gholston - Coleman/Phoua - Jenkins - Ellis

Linbackers would go:

Barton - Harris - Pace

Defensive backs remain unchanged.

The reason getting into a 3-4 is such a pain is because the Tweeners needed at OLB and the Sheer size your D lineman need to have. Going back the other way is not as bad. The Biggest question mark is your OLB's i nthe 4-3. Barton and Pace are big, but lack Ideal speed for the job.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i havent done any research on it but i remember a few big scoring games with a bunch of turnovers, that will make your points scored look pretty damn good without the offense being overly productive.

ok against san diego we scored 29 but had a 95 yard kickoff return and an interception return for a td. not much offensive production there but very good amount of points.

arizona they turned it over i think 5 times. one of them returned for a td. we had drives of 49 yards for a td, 32 for a td, 40 for a td, 17 for a fg, 29 for a td and 49 for a td. we basically played in there end all day due to turnovers and made them pay, not a HUGE offensive day though, definitely not 56 points worth of offense.

cinci, 14 yard drive to field goal, 24 yard td, 41 yard td so once again defense and sts put the offense in very good positions.

buff first game we returned a int for a td.

st louis also turned it over 5 times. 18,3 and 7 yard drives to field goals. and an 18 yard td drive.

thats not every game but it shows why we may be highly ranked in scoring without the offense looking terribly productive from week to week. i dont think we have passed for 300 yards once this season. we also really shot our load in a couple of games usually due to turnover that make the points scored stat lie a little bit. the offense definitely hasnt been consistent or tremendously productive.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

switching back every 4 years would kill the defense... it needs consistency to do well. Imagine learning a 3 totally different systems in a 10 year span as a defensive player.... you'd hate it.

The Steelers brought in a 4-3 guy in Tomlin, but he kept it with the 3-4. I know he has LaBeau, but staying with one system and finding the people to make it work it better than going back and forth trying to find an immediate answer.

10. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Drew Brees in his first year with the Saints, Ryan with the Falcons, Brady with the Pats and now Cassel with the Pats, they are all better offenses in their first years. Chad Pennington looks more consistent as well. The list goes on and on. Rookies and 1st year QBs look far more in sync by Week 15 than we have. Favre isn't a rookie, that's about the only situation where you have to have an extreme amount of patience this deep into the season. But Ryan has done fairly well with the Falcons. There was also Ben with the Steelers, they didn't ask him to do much but when they did they always looked more in sync.

This is the NFL, you don't give a 39 year old QB 4 years to learn an offense. I doubt he will even be back next year, honestly we didn't even have 2 years. Chad had even less time in the same situation with a 1-15 team. Either it was a terrible trade conceptually if you truly believe it's impossible to learn an offense in a year (which I've given you many examples of how it isn't) or Favre is washed up, the coaches are incompetent, or the other players all suck (even though we sent the most players to the Pro Bowl, making this so ridiculously dumb of an assertion).

11. JetsLookingforDWare

Um...those guys all had more than a month with the team, and weren't considering retirement an option.

You generalize anything and you can be right. What 4 years am I talking about? He's been with this offense for just about 4 fucking months, theres going to be bumps. It's that simple.

It doesn't MEAN anything.

12. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Chad Pennington had more time than Favre? Really? Suuuuuure.

You can make stuff up and be in denial as much as you want, doesn't mean you'll ever be right about anything.

13. JetsLookingforDWare

Ummmm...lets see:

1. Favre spent 16 years with the Packers.

2. Pennington spent 7 years with the Jets.

3. The Packers are in the NFC North.

4. The Jets are in the AFC East.

5. The Dolphins are in the AFC East.

6. Pennington is 31 years old and has years left in his career.

7. Favre was considering retirement as a serious option.

8. Favre is STILL outperforming Pennington.

9. And you were the one with the problem with the offense. Not me. I just wanted to explain why it might be inconsitent. I don't even know how you're reaching these conclusions you're reaching.

14. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Im suprised Sutton aint up there........

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

What makes you say Favre is outperforming Pennington? Clearly CP has had a better season so far.

16. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

Plus, it helps if you were a Rhodes scholarship finalist...

17. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

PLease get him out of here

18. JetsLookingforDWare

Clearly? They're very similar, but Favre has 7 more TDs.

Penny's got the YPA advantage though, which surprised me.

Oh I got another one:

CP - Rhodes Scholarship candidate

BF - Not

So yea...Favre isn't perfect, and neither is this offense. Both have been pretty damn well when they're going well, and attempting but failing when they're going bad. File it under "shit happens, we're still winning and it's fixable."

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Pennington had Dan Henning as an OC before. So how different could his language be from what he learned in his 1st 2 years as a Jet? I'd say very similar.

20. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

1) The Packers play in Green Bay.

2) The Jets play in NYC.

3) The Dolphins play in Miami

4)) Milwaukee is in the Central Standard Time Zone

5) Favre’s wife is named Deanna

6) Chad’s wife is named Robin

7) Miami is usually warm

8) NY & Milwaukee can get cold

9) I think my bullet points make just about as much sense as yours.