Passing on Young would like being

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

young isnt a type of vick player.. he is more comparable to mcnabb and culpepper. who we all know are better than vick.there way better passers. and while not as fast as vick.. they can make you pay just as bad outside the pocket.

2. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

I care that he might be dumber then shit because in college you can get by with physical ability, in the pros you need to learn alot more. You can't only know half of the game plan and depand on running all the time.
    Who cares how he talks to the media he is not running for office.
    Pennington is always messed with by everybody.
    I don't care if the rest of the league laughs at us if he does good and we dont get him or if he sucks (what is more of a chance he will then being good) they are going to laugh if we did get him so who cares.
    I have never said Young has no chance of being good, I just pointed out the fact that he is a high risk and that he is not Steve Young or mike Vick. Futhermore I would rather say, I don't think that he is going to make it, then play it safe so I don't get picked on.

#102 New York Mick, Apr 15, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  3. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

Warrior, what you heard is not true. On the final touchdown run in the Rose Bowl, Vince went through three progressions before deciding to run. He makes excellent decisions on the field, IF you have ever actually watched him play.

I have to disagree. It seems to me you speak about Young through ignorance. The reason I think Young would be a good fit for NY is that he thrives in pressure environments. Texas has an enormous fan base, and Austin is one of the largest college towns in the country. The fans at Texas are passionate and critical, and like NY had been waiting since '69 for a championship. Vince feeds off the high expectations of the fans, and that is why I think he is a much better fit in NY than he would be in Tennessee. He is competitive as hell, but also a cool customer. There are so many positives across the board - leadership, athleticism, good on-the-field decision-making, model character and integrity, hard worker, good with the media and the fans, competitiveness, high ambition, and, oh by the way, success - that it befuddles me why so many would rather dismiss him on ignorant, false grounds. I just hope the Jets hierarchy is smarter than that.

And I dispute that Vince is a project. He is going to hit the ground running, no pun intended.

#103 borna'horn, Apr 15, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  4. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

we got rid of a proven malcontent, @*#hole,lockerroom- cancer who doesn't play in the playoffs due to contract worries.Also, he sucks in run defense so he will be worthless in a 3-4. Get over your Abraham manlove, move on man!

5. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Reporter: ?Vince ? do you think you?ll have a problem finding a place to live in New York??

Vince: ?Naaa ? I got me a Hummer with 24s and a GPS ? even thought you got to drive on the wrong side of the road in Europe ? I know I can find my way toos my house after practice?

6. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

Honestly to say our views of Young come from ignorance would mean that you speak from experience. Are you friendly with Vince or have you coached him? I've seen him play and I've seen others like him play. He is a great college QB, he will always be remebered as a great college QB. He may be a decent pro if he ends up on the right team in the right system. He is a great athlete and played for one of the perennial football powerhouses.

To compare the NY sportsmarket, especially the NY JETS, to the Texas market, particularly the Longhorns is like comparing apples and oranges. The synical NY market sits waiting for failure and gives little time for developlment. Eli's time is coming, he'll be on the hotseat this year. If Young lands here it will be nothing like it was in TX and the same goes for Leinart who thinks it will be similar to CA. They should really talk to Chad, Vinny, Ken OBrien and Phil Simms before they wish to be in NY.

7. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Cutler did very little with very little around him. By this theory, I'd think that my man, the guy we should draft in round 3, would be rated highest... Brodie Croyle...

Now back on topic...

Matt Leinart is as close to a sure thing as there is in this draft. In my opinion, choosing someone after their stock rises suddenly (As has been the case with both Cutler and Young) is not a good idea. If there is a guy who has CONSISTENTLY proved that he belongs on the top of people's draft boards, that is the guy you have GOT to take. Leinart is that guy. He's been part of 3 teams that made the national championship. He was the starting QB for two of them. He won one. He won the Heisman once. He was in the running again this year. There are no questions with him that have not already been answered. No, he is definitely not the most physically gifted Qb in the draft, but he has proven to be a gamer, a winner, a leader and he has proven that he can handle being on a big stage.

This guy is perfect for New York. If he is there, I don't care who else is on the board, he has GOT to be the pick. After him, Young would be an excellent pick, but if Leinart is there, Young should be out of the question.

8. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

I'm not comparing the Texas market to the NY market. I'm saying that the pressure and the spotlight are good for Young. He feeds off the very criticism you see on this board. He loves going into hostile environments, like the one at Ohio Stadium. The bigger the stage, the better he is.

If he does not shine with the Jets, he will shine as a visitor to Giants Stadium in another uniform. And he will enjoy making them pay.

9. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Reporter; ?Vince ? now that you?ve been drafted ? what can we look forward to??
    Vince: ?Well ? I still aim to win the S.A.T.?s; also ? I?m pretty confident that I?ll be academically eligible to play all dem games.?
    Reporter: ?Vince ? you are out of college ? grades don?t make a difference anymore??
    Vince: ?Yeah?right ? out of college but if I want to get into a good high school; the mutha takin my S.A.T.?s for me better represent??

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

There in lies the problem, there are two other QB's in the draft Vince Young has proven to be more of a leader and more of a gamer on the big stage as well as a better over all athlete and Cutler has more physical gifts than Leinart as a pure passer.

11. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I dunno if tests and grades accurately measure intelligence or how succesful in life you can be, especially in a profession. After all, comedians have been making fun of Bush for years now, yet he's President of the free world, and they're just comics...

12. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

The comparisons to McNabb are so wrong-hes not near the passer McNabb was coming out of college. The only reason McNabb didnt get a lot of hype was because he came out of Cuse. McNabb is also much smarter and more of a team leader. Everyone always said Young was the leader for Texas but everytime they chowed him on the sideline he was sitting on the bench by himself. The real comparison should be to Akili Smith

13. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

If we pass on him, five years down the line we'll be saying..

*phew* dodged a bullet there. He hasn't played in a pro style offense, he has poor mechanics and hes dumb as a tree to boot.

14. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

WHEW!!!!!

How about Vick?

15. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

Yeah the Cuban QB that played for the Phins remember?

Maybe this would have been true if he was mentally stable................

#115 thejetsaddict, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

what a disturbing thread

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Dan MANRIO!! Is he a new brother of Super Mario?

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The year we "passed" on Marino, just about everybody else in the league did too. He was the 6th QB and 27th player taken. I guess you can make the same point about Brady. 198 times he was passed over too.

19. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

vince young is a nobody. can't do anything other then run

20. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Haha good thread bump. About this thread, all im going to do is quite one wise, wise man...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.