Is Young Overrated?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Here is a player who:

1) has a poor throwing motion. His mechanics are awful and while he could get away with it in college, will need a major overhaul in the NFL

2) is not smart, which is a bad characteristic for a QB

3) has never run a pro offense or taken a snap from center.

4) may be more athlete than QB - we all see how that is working out with Michael Vick, who will turn into a real NFL QB any decade now.

Do Jet fans want to take a player who is a huge risk? Do we want to draft the most questionable player on the board and wait 3-4 years for him to develop with the percentages against him?

Plus, QB is not a primary area of need. We have Pennington with almost a year to heal, Ramsey - a former first round pick who never really got a shot in Washington, and Bollinger as a third string QB again. That makes QB much deeper than other positions on the team.

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

3. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

you stole my reaction!!!!:lol:

I don't think there's any question that the Jets won't take Young. He is exactly the kind of player I think Mangini wants to avoid. Not smart, never ran an NFL offense, is more Michael Vick than a guy with a good arm; and he is a PROJECT. Yes, all draft kids are projects, but VY more than anything because of his throwing motion, his "run first" style of play, and his brains (which are lacking seriously.)

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Vick has one of the great arms in the NFL? He isn't accurate but he has a gun and a beautiful throwing motion. I don't see any comparrison between Vick and Young. Young is much bigger and much more polished in the short and intermediate passing game than Vick. He doesn't have near the arm that Vick does. He also was a much more successful QB in college than Vick and showed a much higher degree of leadership. Comparring Young to Vick is like comparing Leinart to Carson Palmer, two totally different animals.

5. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i been saying this for awhile vick and young are the same kind a talants there not comparable... when its comes to young his talant compares better to mcnabb and culpepper.

best case scenerio McNabb
    Middle grounds - Culpepper
    Worst case scenerio- Cade Mcnown (now thats a bust)

#5 hydro51, Apr 16, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  6. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Young is going to be an amazing NFL player. 6 years from now, we'll look back and bitch about "Same Old Jets" for not picking him.

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Agree to disagree

8. Penny2Moss

Penny2Moss New Member

Vince is the most overrated player in I dont know how many years

9. jkgrandchamp

jkgrandchamp Member

Yea besides Leinart or Bush who were cupcaked Bush had White to take the real punishment while Leinart could pass when needed to some good receivers which neither Young nor Leinart will have .

10. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

How can a player be overrated who takes constant criticism everywhere you look? If anything, he would be underrated, or if you think he sucks, rated as he should be.

11. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

He's got a ton of talent. Biggest upside out of all the QB's.

Probably the biggest risk too.

Young is a project. If he was going late in the first round, he'd be worth it, but I would never take someone with that many question marks in the top 5.

12. Ryan

Ryan Banned

I agree. Young is overrated thoug. Leinart to. Jay Cutler I think is abou rated cprrectly. Do you know why you should care? You shouldnt. QB is not a need, do not waste a #4 pick on him.

13. This and the Leinart thread were obviously created in vain, in retaliation to the Ferguson thread. Why this was neccessary I'm not sure.

For every person who thinks we need an LT, there is someone who thinks we need a QB. In the end, we are all most likely right.

The fact is, most prospects have question marks about them, and teams have to weave their way through all the concerns to determine where they truly belong in the draft and if they are worthy of being selected.

One thing is for certain, the need at Qb is no smaller than the need at LT.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Young is certainly overrated. He has no experience with a real playbook and a real offense. He has a bad throwing motion. He isn't smart. He's never taken a snap from center. For a running quarterback, his speed isn't elite.

He's got a ton of potential, but in the top group of picks, you want a guy who is more of a sure thing than that. And right now, he is a major boom/bust prospect. If I were the GM, I wouldn't take him early first round at all. If the Jets took him, I wouldn't be happy, but I'd root for the best. I'm not guaranteeing he's a bust. I think he will be unless a team has the utmost patience. And in New York, he would not be able to get that time.

15. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Young is a great player and if Leinart isn't available at 4 we should take him. Hes a great player and knows what it takes to win. I rather have a winner then Cutler who hasn't won anything.

16. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

This is an actual post from a USC board before this year's Rose Bowl. It came from a guy named Seer who was revered for his accurate pegging of last year's Orange Bowl.

I post this because it is so typical of what VY has faced throughout his career. The guy who posted this is a moron. There are no two ways about it. He could not have been more wrong.

The statements on this thread are going to look just as idiotic a year from now.

If Vince won four Super Bowls, five league MVPs, and went to 10 Pro Bowls, I could see five years after his retirement the same people saying, "Vince Young? Overrated. Yeah, he won some games, but he ran too much and his mechanics sucked. In my book, he was all hype. I'm glad he wasn't on my team."

The haters are going to be there for the long haul. All you can do is laugh at them, flash your championship ring, and move on. He will land on the right team for him.

#16 borna'horn, Apr 16, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You make some points on what you don't like about Young and you may or may not be right, however when you say Young is certainly overrated I think you are throwing out nonsense. Young by almost every account including the HC of USC was the best player in College football last year. That was based on performance on the field. If he were fairly rated based soley on performance he would be the consensus No. 1 pick. Since he isn't people must be looking at him and taking into consideration other factors beyond performance. How does that make him overrated?

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If Young gets the right coaching, and is brought along slowly, he could be a very good QB. I just think he has way too much to work on mentally as he enters the NFL for the Jets to take a chance on him.

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

He's not as overrated as he was right after the championship game, but if he's thought of as the #3 pick in the draft by Tennessee, that isn't fair.

You are true that he might not be really overrated anymore because people have recognized his flaws. But I still don't think you take a guy with that high bust potential that early in the draft. Even Tony, a level-headed guy who loves Young, throws out 6 years as the number of years it will take him to be ready. Well, in the NFL, it's what have you done for me lately. A QB might get 3 or 4 years, but if Young still isn't doing it by then, and if he's as emotional as the guy on the Texas board said, then he won't develop fully, if at all. I'm just saying he has a very high bust potential, and it will take a long time to develop. And guys like that, who have the downside that Young has and have the learning curve that he has are usually taken late round one or outside of round one altogether.

20. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

There are those who love Young, no talking to them.

There are those that feel he is overrated, no talking to them.

Then there are the rest of us ...

Vince Young, superstar college QB.
    Vince Young, exceptional athlete.
    Vince Young, sure-fire cant-miss NFL Superstar, the jury is out.

Who doesn't love the exciting player. That's why we watch.

Jets fans want more than flash and potential, we've been lured by that before and then kicked in the teeth. (Johnny Mitchell)

If the Jets take him, I'll be as exicited as anyone to see him under center and I will hope that the VY lovers were right.

The concern of those of us on the fence is that College success, no matter how great, is NOT a precursor for NFL success. The throwing motion questions are not all that scary, but his readiness to adjust to a Pro-style offense does raise some flags. If he turns out to be a project, and takes 2-3 years to learn the system and play in it effectively it will be a disaster because the NY market will not wait for him and it will get ugly.