Neither INT as bad as I thought

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by John127, Dec 15, 2008.

1. John127

John127 New Member

Just watched the game again (those Sunday Ticket 20 minute edits are great) and I'm not as down on Farve's performance as I was at the stadium yesterday. The 1st INT wasn't his fault at all - the ball was pretty well placed (maybe a tad behind) and on the second INT he was hit as he threw forcing the underthrow, something I didn't notice at the stadium in real time, and something that can happen at any time to any QB.

His worst miss, by far, was the 3rd down on the last drive before "the strip-sack". He missed Keller (I think) who was wide open for a first down. Very disappointing as he was brought here to drive down the filed and score game winners in pressure situations.

The defense looked as bad as I remember, although watching Lynch, I give him a lot of credit as well.

2. uberchink

uberchink New Member

People here don't realize how good Lynch really is. it doesn't matter how bad the people are around him or how good the people trying to tackle him are, he can still beast.

And I agree about the two INT's. But Brett seemed kinda off yesterday. Throws that he'd normally hit perfectly were a little behind or low.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The first INT was a total fluke, Favre even admitted the second was a horrible underthrow and even said maybe he doesn't have the arm anymore--I hope he was kidding. Seemed like he was throwing behind guys a lot, Coles a few times and Keller. As far as December at the Meadowlands, there wasn't much of a wind factor to speak of.

4. John127

John127 New Member

I heard him say that too, but watch it again, it's clear what happens. The hit comes from the front - he gets knocked back and is unable to follow through. Maybe he's used to making throws without using his body, but those days are gone.

As far as throwing behind, it a happened a couple of times. I counted like 3 off-target passes, which is really nothing to be alarmed about (except one was that big 4th quarter 3rd down).

5. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

Since the Cotchery TD against Miami the 1st game of the season, I don't think I've seen Favre make one good decision when throwing the ball more than 15 yards. I don't have a problem with him going deep every now and then but I do have a problem when he is constantly throwing the ball into double, sometimes triple coverage.

6. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

One was a freak bounce that went their way . The Other was the receiver giving up on his route. I mean you have to do something jump up adjust , no wonder Farve doesn't trust his supporting cast.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He was running full speed and had to stop to come back to it. The ball was severely under thrown. Who knows would have happened if he didn't get hit while throwing it, but don't blame Cotchery on that one.

Maybe it's not, but I think he just wanted to be a good team mate and not make excuses about being hit while throwing it.

8. FUpaladinstyle

FUpaladinstyle New Member

re

I think part of the problem with Favre not making good decisions downfield is that he doesn't have the same separation that he is used to. He's still getting used to the receivers. Receivers aren't open downfield with the same frequency as when Favre was in GB.

9. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

The first INT was a fluke, but it definately changed the momentum of the game. We were possibly on our way to 21-3, and the game would have been over. The second one, yes Farve was hit slightly as he was throwing the ball. I gotta say though, for basically the whole year, when I see Farve throwing deep, usually off his back leg, I expect something bad to happen. Almost all of the long passes have been underthrown.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The whole crowd groans now when he uncorks a deep ball and nobody is out there but the defender. Also, I agree we were on the march again when that first pick happened, they hadn't stopped us at all.

11. John127

John127 New Member

Acutally, didn't he overthrow a few last week (against SF)? I remember him throwing way down field.

The problem isn't arm strength. Check out the TD to Cotchery from yesterday - short pass, but a bullet toward the sideline that many QBs get picked. Those throws are taken for granted.

12. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Whenever he doesn't step into his throws, bad things always happen. It's like he pays less attention to mechanics because his arm is so strong.

Also agree about the 1st INT. If the Bills don't get that break, I believe the Jets were on their way to scoring at least a FG and down 14 pts. the Bills would have been forced to put the game in the hands of Loss-Man. I noticed that the Jets started to play real uptight after the Bills scored that TD and if the Jets hadn't gotten that TD before the half, they would have been in big trouble.

13. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The first INT was not Favre's fault... he could have led him a little better, but if you ask Coles I am sure he would say he could have caught that. the 2nd INT he was hit, and Cotch seemed to have a step on his guy.

14. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Maybe ? I'M not blaming crotchery I'm just saying you are taught to become a defensive back when its something like that and just get up there. Maybe Ill go back and look again at the play , but from my recollection he could have got up in there and batted it away or maybe it happened too quick for that kind of reaction.

15. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Right on post. I came on here last night and read people posting "god Favre sucks, two more INT!" and I sort of wrote them off as clueless morons (especially when it comes to the first one), but then I started to think, maybe some of these people were at the game and didn't see it well, and didn't have the benefit of TV replay.

I also agree that the pass to Keller was actually his worst throw, though it was just an incompletion. Overall Favre did not have a good game (especially after the first quarter), but people who are still on his case that it was plain bad either didn't see it with replays, or didn't watch it closely if they did.

16. uberchink

uberchink New Member

this was never a problem last year. he made a ton of deep throws off his back foot. the most notable was probably the game winning ~50 yard TD bomb to Greg Jennings against the KC Chiefs - off his back foot with a guy blitzing right in his face.

That's not excusing any of his underthrown passes this year. But he's definitely still capable of completing them like he always has.

17. uberchink

uberchink New Member

This has been the case for many of Favre's previous INTs. But this time I don't think it was the case. It was too far behind Cotchery (who actually did have a little lead on the CB) and really the best he could've done was tackle the CB as soon as he caught it, which admittedly he should have done.

18. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

The 2nd int was absolutely horrible there is no way he should have thrown that pass. Throw it away and let your punter do his job.

19. John127

John127 New Member

Cotchery had a step on the corner and the safety was lagging. 10 yards more on the throw and it was a possible completion. Not defending, just stating the facts - I saw the route clearly, it was right in front of me.

20. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I heard him say that about his arm and I took it as him joking...he's just not the one to blame any bad throw on anyone but himself. If he wasn't hit Cotchery was a yard ahead of the D and would've probably scored.